Velandy Manohar, MD
Distinguished Life Fellow, Am. Psychiatric Association [APA]
Past President- Indian American Psychiatric Association and
Asian American Caucus of APA
Member- Governance Committee- Community Advisory Board
Office of Health Strategy- CT
Member- CT. STATE Medical Society-Committees: Ethics, Disaster Preparedness and Quality of Care
10 02 2019 [Updated 10 28 19]
Sanskrit [Devanagari Script]
आः नो भद्राः कर्तव्यो यन्तु विश्वतः [RK Veda I.89.1 Revealed Scripture Hindu Faith Tradition]
Aa no Bhadraha, Kartavyo Yantu Vishwataha
Let noble thoughts come to us from every side
Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still dark.”
Nobelist Rabindranath Tagore
“To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower, Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.” Auguries of Innocence- William Blake
“On the occasion of Mahatma Gandhi's 70th birthday. "Generations to come, it may well be, will scarce believe that such a man as this one ever in flesh and blood walked upon this Earth.”
Updated Compendium of Essays in Text and Video posted in Three main locations: PsychiatristSites, You Tube and Linked in 10 28 19
Professional site: https://www.velandymanoharmd.com/
You tube Videos: (also visible on LinkedIn)
https://youtu.be/hJ9gw3MQxqU Mahatma Gandhi Ji Darshanam (updated) 10/28/19
https://youtu.be/ZdLWyxHDgaI Gandhi Slides (updated) 10/28/19
https://youtu.be/Y5re-q0jOK4 Cyclone Fani
https://youtu.be/Yhy1TROF2j8 Bapu Conversion Slides*
Professional site has links to the following articles:
Mahatma Gandhi and the UNO
Global Warming: Formulating and implementing a coordinated response to an imminent Existential threat
Readings for Meditation and inspirational prayers
https://www.velandymanoharmd.com/MahatmaGandhijiChronologyofablesssedlife.en.html Mahatma Gandhiji-Chronology of a Blessed Life
https://www.velandymanoharmd.com/MahatmaGandhijiPrinciplesandPracticeofSatyagraha.en.html Mahatma Gandhiji-Principles and Practice of Satyagraha
https://www.velandymanoharmd.com/MahatmaGandhijiHislifeandMessageinhisownwords.en.html Mahatma Gandhiji- His life and Message in his own words
Mahatma Gandhiji- Spiritual and Psychological Perspectives
Mahatma Gandhiji- Views on Religious Conversion
Compendium of Videos and Photos Updated 10 2819
As I reflect on what I have studied and learned, discussed and reflected on about Mahatma Gandhi and the Satyagraha Movement, over the past 50 years in the USA and earlier in India from my school days, I have been from time to time reminded by memorable and inspirational, poignant and evocative words from two specific sources:
A. Diary of Anne Frank:
B. 1. Insightful statement of L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
2. 1939 Academy Award winning Song, “Somewhere over the Rainbow”. In 2001, the National Endowment of the Arts and the Recording Industry Association of America named the song the 20th century top song (Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” came second).
I will share some of the most important insights I accrued over the years from these sources.
A. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
1. “In the long run, the sharpest weapon of all is a kind and gentle spirit.” Encapsulates the Soul of Bapu [Mahatma Gandhi]
2. “Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness.”
3. “How wonderful it is that nobody needs wait a single moment before starting to improve the world”
4. “He who has courage and faith will never perish in misery!”
5. “Human greatness does not lie in wealth or power, but in character and goodness. People are just people, and all people have faults and shortcomings, but all of us are born with a basic goodness.”
6. “Riches can all be lost, but that happiness in your own heart can only be veiled, and it will still bring you happiness again, as long as you live. As long as you can look fearlessly up into the heavens, as long as you know that you are pure within, and that you will still find happiness.
7. “Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!”
8. I’ve found that there is always some beauty left – in nature, sunshine, freedom, in yourself; these can all help you. Look at these things, then you find yourself again, and God, and then you regain your balance
9. “As long as this exists, this sunshine and this cloudless sky, and as long as I can enjoy it, how can I be sad?”
10. “It’s difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It’s really a wonder that I haven’t dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart”
A. 1. L Frank Baum’s precept. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
“A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others”
a. “Somewhere over the Rainbow” This classic song won the 1939 Academy Award. In 2001, the National Endowment of the Arts and the Recording Industry Association of America named the song the 20th century top song (Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” came second).
b. “ Somewhere over the Rainbow” https://www.google.com/search?q=some+where+over+the+rainbow&oq=some+where+ov er+the+rainbow&aqs=chrome..69i57.24361j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF- 8&enablesearch=true
Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole exceptional memorable rendition 787,690,802 views
Selected Verses from the # 1 Song of the 20th Century.
“ Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.
Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow.
Why then, oh, why can't I?
I humbly and respectfully offer my tribute to the memory of Mahatma Gandhi on the 150th Anniversary of his blessed birth, in Porbandar, Kathiawar Province, State of Gujarat. I welcome your responses to my Videos and essays.
Ba aur Bapu Amar Rahe [ May Kasturba and Mahatma Gandhiji live in the hearts of all people all over the world forever. People from 142 Nations recorded Bapu’s favorite Prayer, Vaishnava Janato on the occasion of the 150th Anniversary of the Blessed Birthday of Bapu. In addition, on Sept. 25, 2019, in the name of 1.34 billion Indian men, women and children of all religions, races and castes Hon. PM Narendra Modi gifted to the UNO at the cost of USD 1Million solar panels that have been installed on the roof of the UN Headquarters here, one panel each for every 193 UN member states.
The 'Gandhi Peace Garden' is an innovative initiative under which the Consulate General of India in New York, Long Island-based NGO Shanti Fund and the State University of New York - Old Westbury have entered into an agreement to plant 150 trees.
It is dedicated in the memory of Gandhi and is a crowd-sourced project, with people adopting trees in the memory of their loved ones. The garden is in an open site within the 600 acres campus of the University.
The solar panels are powered up to reach the max of 50 KW of generation power. Energy generated in the park is equivalent to energy that would have been created through the use of 30,000 kilograms of coal. It also has a carbon sequestration of 1000 seedlings which will grow into trees over 10 years.
In his keynote address at the event, Modi spoke about the contributions of the Father of the Nation to the cause of greater human freedom in the 20th century, his emphasis on the welfare of all (Sarvodaya),championing the cause of the downtrodden (Antyodaya) and prescient concern for environmental sustainability.
I conclude with this Sanskrit precept shared by the ancient sages of the forest Academies of India which was extra-ordinarily well exemplified, in the wise words, courageous deeds and sublime incandescent life of Mahatma Gandhi. The First two words “Satyam eva Jayate” is the motto of the Republic of India and it is imprinted on the Lion Capitol of the Republic of India.
Mundaka Upanishad 3:1:6 [Sanskrit - Devanagari Script]
सत्यमेव जयते नानृतं सत्येन पन्था विततो देवयानः ।
येनाक्रमन्त्यृषयो ह्याप्तकामा यत्र तत् सत्यस्य परमं निधानम् ॥
Satyameva jayate nānṛtaṃ
Satyena panthā vitato devayānaḥ
Yatra tat satyasya paramaṃ nidhānam
Truth alone triumphs; not falsehood.
Through truth the divine path is spread out
by which the sages whose desires have been completely fulfilled,
reach to where is that supreme treasure of Truth.
Velandy Manohar, MD,
Distinguished Life Fellow, Am. Psychiatric Association,
Past President, Indian American Psychiatric Association,
Past President, Asian American Caucus – Am. Psychiatric Association,
Past Chairman of the Board of Trustees, CT. Valley Hindu Temple Society.
your page content